Wednesday, May 09, 2007

nice guy

Coming soon, a transcript of the interview with Roscoe Mitchell that we did this morning, which will also be broadcast on KSFR (www.ksfr.org for streamers) Thursday, May 17, at about 2:10 pm Mountain Time.

I was nervous talking with Mr. Mitchell. I've been listening to his compositions and improvisations since I was about 14 years old, about 31 years. Roughly nine years into his career. I was astonished to note that his discography lists 112 recordings that he either appears on or is a leader of. That's about 2.6 per year. My first Art Ensemble of Chicago concert was probably about 1980 or so; in particular I remember an incredible performance by Mitchell at a show a bit later in the Reagan Era at Bryn Mawr College, including his signature circular breathing, single note solo to end the first set. Another remarkable show was at The 9:30 Club in DC; I attended with a fever and chills and the music completely healed me of whatever bug I was harboring.

Mitchell was courteous, professional, articulate and insightful. He's bringing the "Chicago Quartet" to The Outpost in Albuquerque Saturday, May 19.

Also coming soon, an interview with J.A. Deane that I did over the weekend. This will probably run in the Santa Fe Reporter next Wednesday, May 16, and I'll put up a link and include some of the sections for which there wasn't space. Deane is doing a solo set and conducting his 12 piece ensemble, Out of Context, the day after Mitchell's appearance, also at The Outpost, as part of the three day Creative Soundspace Festival, which also features Myra Melford/Mark Dresser Duo and Santa Fe's acoustic trio, A. Barnhouse.

When it rains around here, it pours.

No comments: